Cat
Well hello again,

This past weekend I worked a weekend trip where we took clients climbing and rappeling.  We were about 15 miles from the border of AZ, which was awesome.  I love that I get to travel as part of my job.  Furthermore, I learned about a climbing area that I would like to go back to and climb (without clients).  I hear you can climb there in the winters, which makes me very happy. 

On Monday I was off from work so I went climbing at an area called White Rocks.  We went to an area of White Rocks called The Overlook and it was awesome.  I had a great time climbing at this area because the rock was very gritty and the view from where we were climbing was beautiful.  You could see the Rio Grande and the surrounding mountain ranges.  I kept glanceing back into the the mountains when I was not climbing because it was so picturesque. 

Then on Tuesday, I went for a five mile hike on the Chasmia Trail, which is very close to where I work and live.  It was a nice single, track trail.  As I was walking, I was not sure what the names of some of the wildflowers and trees were.  Since I did not know what plants were there, I ordered a book on Southwest plants so that I can bring it along on some of my adventures.  Many of the trees and aspens are changing colors here already.  In Virginia we got all colors of Fall, but here you mostly get yellow and a hint of orange.  It is beautiful to see the trees and the mountains changing colors.  Furthermore, there are also some wildflowers that blooming all over the place.  It is awesome!

After I hiked, I went to the local climbing gym and coached climbing.  I am volunteering at the local climbing gym because I enjoy coaching climbing and also because I get a free membership,  It is only a couple hours a week and I am already enjoying it. 

There is a new series that I think everyone in the world should be watching.  It is on PBS and it is about the National Parks.  The series is called, "National Parks, America's Best Idea."  The series is about the history of the parks and about the park's beautiful landscapes.  As I am watching it, the scenery sometimes takes my breath away.  Throughout the series, they have taken a lot of quotes from the naturalist John Muir.  I had heard about him before, but after learning about him in the series, I have ordered a couple of his books because he writes about nature in a spiritual manner, which is a way that I see nature too.  Everyday they are putting new episodes on the website.  You can watch it on PBS at home too.  Check it out!

PBS NATIONAL PARKS LINK
3 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    We are glad to hear you are having such a good time! Also glad you got the gym membership you wanted...that should come in handy as it gets colder. Odd that NM gets less of a variety of fall colors! (I was running my last statement by Greg, who thought it was odd that NM had much color all...So maybe it's not so surprising...guess they just don't have the maples we have here in VA)


  2. Mom Says:

    Great pictures. Glad everything is going well. We miss you. You'll have to bake us some of your homemade granola bars when you are in Richmond. Also, don't forget to check out Sophia's as it was featured on the Food Channel show Diner, Drive-ins and Dives.

    Take Care...Love, Mom


  3. Amy Says:

    Oh Catina! I am so happy for this part of your Life journey! I am excited that you have the opportunity to experience the wonders and mysteries of the Southwest. While I am excited to look at your pictures and read about your experiences in the wilderness, I must admit, a slight bit of jealousy plagues my soul. I hope my Life journey includes a visit to Santa Fe to visit you in the near future. While I love to read about your wilderness adventures, I am curious to learn more about the work you are involved with at the Mountain Center. Remember, I am living vicariously through you at the moment, so I need more processing of the Mountain Center! Love ya, Cat!